Saturday 27 October 2018

Time on your hands

Subject: FW: Time on your hands.
The morning was damp and I had time to spare. I had called in to see the doctor at our local hospital where the doctors practice I use has rooms. One of the most annoying impediments when you need to see a doctor these days is the mandatory phone call between 8am and 8.30 to speak to the doctors receptionist to make an appointment. It's such a short window of opportunity to make this telephone connection as everyone is also forced into the lottery of a free line. Luckily the practice I subscribe to have a walk in clinic where, on arrival you take a ticket and wait until your number is called. It can be quite a wait so its sensible after securing your place in the queue, to get an estimated time when you can expect to be called in  which allows you to tootle off and do other things in the meantime.
Having done a bit of shopping and bought a news paper I thought a spot of breakfast would not be amiss and so I walked into a very pleasant cafe which we always refer to as Andrews cafe since before he left to go on his travels, the shop was empty and he showed interest in having a go at opening a cafe based on healthy food and good coffee.

Anyway I pushed open the door to be met by a babble of sound. The place was full of women talking, two to the dozen in high pitched voices, excited to be rid of the children and nothing more to do until they pick them up again about 3.00. These are not the single mothers holding down three jobs, the Audi's parked outside belied that, they were not stressed to get to the next meeting or even home to put the food on, they were part of that securely married cohort who's life is prescribed sitting around with mates passing the time away. They are part of that middle class who's function is to keep their figures in shape and sparkle when James brings business colleges around for dinner.
With Andrew in mind I'm not sure how profitable the cafe were since I didn't see any refills to the solitary cup in front of them and there was certainly no food consumed. Perhaps I made up, eating my scrambled egg, one sausage, and one piece of bacon on toast. I was in and out before anyone else's moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment