Monday 16 February 2015

Independent glory

I'm in one of my philosophical moods today as I ponder the importance we attach to the thoughts of others in our own evaluations. The question of what we call "in the minds eye", is unique to me and is part of my world and no one else's. The way I visualise a view of the mountains or the realism of a painting has to rely on me and the way I process the sensory images with my memories of similar images and the events that occurred in conjunction to seeing those images, were they happy memories or sad. This of course raises the true reality of the image we are looking at since if it can evoke different images, is there a single image we should all be able to see if we were rid of our prejudice.

As human beings are we mentally any more than a long line of prejudiced opinion and would we be saved from conformity by breaking every convention, other than the ones you can be arrested for, which, in itself raises the question, by who's rules are we bound. 
If my mind is a free agent to interpret what it sees and if the conclusion is, I am unique, why do I crave the recognition of others to feel happy. Particularly if the others I consult in my mind to find agreement are as wayward and as unique as I am, what use have I for their opinion

Why then do we seek conformity. Is it because there is no controversy only the tempting mode of acquiescence, what is the flavour of the month, we hold up our hand not wishing to be seen to be a rebel. Rebellion is usually portrayed as destructive whilst in fact it can be very creative, if for no other reason than that it challenges the status quo. The dreadful dead hand of the status quo, the maintenance at all costs of the existing pattern of social and political norms.
A healthy mind should be continually seeking out ways to break free and reinvent its self in all its unique and independent glory !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment