Monday 23 November 2015

Cassandra revisited

The morning after the night before and in light of my comments in my previous blog,  where I suggest 'Martial Law' to allow a clear out of known agitators, currently hiding behind habeas corpus to prevent their arrest and confinement, is this is a move too far.  

Should we ride out the wave of bombings and shootings. Is the collateral damage worth the financial advantages of having open boarders. 
Does Shengen, the free movement of labour, a system designed to plug the labour gaps where needed in a Global financial system  provide a sufficient financial incentive to carry the downside of a few bodies here and there. 
Are we sufficiently in thrall of hindrance-free holiday travel that we would put up with a bit of mayhem here or there !
Choices, they bedevil us with options. Not only in the 'market place' and the choices which intensive marketing targets the cash strapped man-in-the street but now in a reappraisal of the choice we have to make about our inter-relationship within our own society.
'To close our eyes' is the common refrain when I ask the question amongst some of my readership
"It's all so far away and I can't be bothered".
"I'm getting ready to go out".
"What is the use of worrying we have no power to change things and no one listens anyway".
Part of the post Thatcherite dumbing down within society has produced a free thinking, sorry 'no thinking, hedonistic society which views itself as in a bubble, unconcerned with what is happening to the society at large. 
Ask them what they think of the dismantling of the NHS in a bid to privatise it.
Ask them ditto about the BBC.
Ask them what they think of the financial pain imposed on the working poor by the withdrawal of certain benefits which have become necessary in our ultra low wage economy.
You can ask them until you are blue in the face but don't expect an answer other than, "it doesn't concern or effect "me".
I was asked by someone new to my blog "why do you bother to write and send out your opinions" ? It's an interesting question and goes to the root of who I am. 
I come from a politically astute family, particularly my Father who in the 1930 studied Russian because he thought Communism was the answer to the drudgery of pre-war Capitalism and its unbridled power over the workers. Politics and the "Editorial" were a must read in our household. Only the serious press was allowed in and we discussed many of the issues which were then current in world affairs.  After I left home we continued to write about what was happening through long, sometimes 30 page letters about what I saw (I became his eyes) and what I felt about the goings on in the world.
I used to have some intriguing and definitely risky discussions in the places I visited, asking the un-askable but generally being treated with respect because I was genuinely interested and often sympathetic. I always found Zac de Beer of Anglo fame immensely profound and willing to answer political criticism openly with candour and a deep rooted intelligence.
And so it's gone on. The Internet has given me a wider audience but the inquisition goes on as to the why and wherefore on practically any subject since I consider myself to be member of the human race and anything which acts within that orbit is fair game !!

No comments:

Post a Comment