Friday 6 September 2019

Shes one of us and doing all right


Subject: She's one of us and doing alright.

I have always championed what I consider the proper use of language. I’m a sucker for the choice and clarity in the words we chose to define what we want to say and, if the truth was known, also the manner of speech which defines in part the gravitas of what's being said. I suppose I could therefore be classified a snob. 
My reasons for my love of the proper use of language is a result of a battle which has gone on in my head ever since i left home and  distanced myself from the environment I had grown up in and began to mix in a multitude of accents and customs which then became my home.
The difference  between what is said and the way it is said began to seem important. I seem to more readily  accept a reasoned argument if was put to me by someone who speaks the so called 'queens english' rather than someone who speaks with a broad accent. It’s silly really.

Listening to Jacob Rees-Mogg, who I detest, with his upper-class highfalutin pronunciation and Jess Philips, with her strong Bummy accent, I’m much more impressed with what she has to say than him but I’m fascinated listening to him and less pleased by her delivery.

Listening to a fascinating Reith lecture given on the BBC  by the Law Lord, Johnathan Sumption  on the subject of 'the place the Law plays in the Parliamentary business of democratic decision making', his almost pedestrian delivery, his absolute economy with words, but words which give crystal clear meaning to the debate. Its not only the speed but the clarity with which he speaks his elegant pronunciation and his vocabulary makes every word a gem and every sentence something to think about.

It’s not to say you have to agree or disagree but listing to him postulate an idea you are in no two minds as to his position, which in these days of political double speak is so refreshing.
Why are we impressed by an upper crust accent and feel less inclined towards a more working class regional accent. Is it because historically leaders were drawn from the posher class and we assumed in those days they knew better. Is it that the regional accent sounds too much like the one we use and we doubt our own capacity to make leadership an object to strive for. 
The structure of society has meant that the positions of power inevitably go to a small pool of talent, one could go so far as to say that the talent is not always very evident but so long as the polished exterior is in place the 'ship of state' sails with much the same crew. The establishment, the civil service, the officer class, the media and the large FTSE 100 company boardrooms are full of that 'born to rule' class who effortlessly fill all the top positions. It's only when politicians born and bred on the wrong side of the railway track (as the used to say) come into view through the lens of the television camera that their background, if not their education becomes clear but doubt, born of generations of 'cap doffing' slowly give way to rueful smiles as the recognition dawns, she's one of us and is doing alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment