Tuesday 13 October 2015

How did I get here.


How the mind flows. I don't know about you but mine is in continued conversation. It never stops talking. People who know me say that once I get going I never stop talking, perhaps this has the danger of being boring so one advantage of having the conversation in your mind, no one knows!


            I started thinking of food. I need a potato peeler. I look into Google for one. Coopers of Stortford have a fascinating one which peels not only spuds but oranges and all kinds of fruit.
Only a button away from all the other goodies in their cook shop I browse into combination egg boilers/poachers, omelet makers, to pies making, just throw the ingredients in and away you go become Mrs Beeton at the touch of a switch. Does this mean I'm turning into a 'housewife', scoping the magazines for the next labour saving gadget. Of course it could be just huger driven !!
Children in a sweet shop come to mind. The HI FI shop was one of my weaknesses. Walk into a proper HiFI shop and I was putty in their hand, well nearly so, they still had the job of prising the notes out of my Yorkshire wallet. Motor cars have never turned me on, fashion likewise although I do gaze at the tools in a DIY shop. My problem has been the skill to use them and no DIY project has ever been satisfactorily finished. I seem to lose interest before the last screw is in place and if it's a self put together job there are always screws which seem surplus.
My dreams have changed. Doing an under the hour 25mile bicycle time trial. Climbing a named mountain. Sailing the oceans all these dreams have come and gone.
Does this constitute an unhappy person, no. There were always things that got in the way and to be honest I didn't have the drive to want them enough. Does that make me mediocre well perhaps but then mediocrity has some advantages since you don't usually become fixated on mediocrity.
As one begins to stiffen up and the chap in the mirror looks like your dad, it's time to explore ones experiences and value them for what they were. In that time and that place they were the substance,  enough to have formed your character.
Now as you proffer advice or reflect that people should try to expand their lives you can at least acknowledge you took some of your own advice and it led you into some interesting places.

No comments:

Post a Comment