Thursday 24 September 2015

Reflection


Writing a blog is a bit like writing a diary, not a personal diary but one intended to reflect ones impressions of what is occurring outside in the wider world.

Having read some of my older blogs, I started writing in 2012, I see that I have maintained something of a crusade for certain subjects but on the whole I have allowed myself to comment fairly freely on the human condition generally.
One of the psychological based tests I had to undertake when I worked for Anglo and which was repeated after 10 years by the same firm seemed to perplex them. The observation after the test was that I hadn't 'changed' my views much in the 10 intervening years and this seemed to evoke some surprise from the psychologist. My response was that if you were onto a good thing why change. Ones values were the thing which guided you throughout life and were not for sale.
Being a chameleon, changing ones colour to suit the particular landscape of the time seems to me to be one of the worst traits that a person can have. Values are the measure of the person and when I read some of these older entries I see I am following the same footfall.
Reading a letter I sent home to my Mom and Dad back in 1967, it could have been written today. I'm a little more polished and thank god I have the advantage of the 'spell check' but the structure is the same, the interests and the concerns were with me then as they are today.
We are raised and influenced by our parents and I was particularly lucky to have parents who loved and cared for me and fed me their own interpretation of what they valued in life.
The world hasn't really moved on and all the concerns today were the concerns then. These concerns are in reality based on our reading of society and our relationship to that society.
If we are rich then we often insulate ourselves from society at large and create a bubble of similar people who we feel share our specific concerns. A large section are concerned with their own insecurity, be it due to an insecure financial base or, through the prejudice, of being insular or tribal preferring to see others outside their specific affiliation, as the enemy.
Non of this is bad rather its predicable, since we are always vulnerable !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment