Monday 1 June 2015

Which God ?


I draw my thoughts not from the scriptures but from listening to a group of people from many beliefs,  talking about what 'they' believe.
Isn't that the best way to come to this vexing position regarding God and his teachings.


The first question is which of the gods on offer do you choose, there seems to be more than one. Or is it that there is only one God just many interpretations. If there are a number of well thought out concepts of "my"God then the singularity of which team I support is down to a very human decision, I'm attracted to their shirt or I live in the city where they have their home advantage.
I am tribal and follow the herd.
If on the other hand I listen to the propositions put forward by the proponents of a specific set of beliefs and I like some of what I hear but Joe across from me has tickled my senses with another way of looking at the issue, can I be collegiate and belong to more than one religion.
The problem seems to be the claim made by the affirmation on earth of God, the churches which each claim authority to speak on his behalf.
This traditional view is of a masculine, often wrathful, sometimes forgiving, opinionated law giving oligarch be it Jehovah or Allah, setting his rules and passing them down through Moses and the Ten Commandments or Allah, and his conversations with Mohamed.
I think the term is "prescriptive" and it's this lack of flexibility which is both a strength and a weakness. Obviously a strength in the way that no one can evade the consequences, the rules are the rules. A weakness in trying to square the circle and manage the concept of a loving God who would do such terrible things to his children.
I third concept is to evolve the idea that God is within us as a sensory perception of what love and humility to our fellow human beings could be if we spent the time thinking and meditating about the unanswerable questions which have bothered mankind through the Millenia.
God is in some ways a philosophical construct based on our deep desire to answer the unanswerable question what happens to "us" when we die. All else is froth

No comments:

Post a Comment