Wednesday 3 June 2015

Lunch at TJIs


I'm sitting waiting for the shops to open in Westfield the huge upmarket shopping centre in Stratford. For a provincial like me this is glitz and glamour writ large but obviously, the client base hasn't left their beds yet since 9am has come and gone.  I hope that 9.30 will open a few doors.

No, I have just learnt from my trusty informant in Australia that the shop opens at 10am !
It's not been a waste of time since I now know where the shop is situated and I'v had a trip down memory lane with Andrew as I wandered around with "Face Time" switched on and the pictures took us both back to a time when the Centre had only just opened. It's remarkable to be able to not only have the picture link but to be able to wander about discussing everything as if we were shoulder to shoulder.
Andrew, true to form became fixated on food shops, the tantalising thought of super large burger's, or a racks of ribs with or without chips. Maybe if I time it right I'll have a taster !!
Emerging from the glitzy and glamour the sky was slate grey, heavy with rain and his yearning for the food feast slipped away in the reality of our English weather and the emotional damper that these overcast sky bring.
It's lunch time and I have returned to Westfield in search of food. As I mentioned we had visited the place just after it had opened, choosing TJI, a steak to die for haven. I had forgotten but he remembered the balcony over-looking the people moving around the shops.
As I walked onto the top floor it came flooding back, the mock up yellow taxi which sits outside the entrance to TJIs, the tables overlooking the food hall, nothing had changed, why should it.
On hearing her accent I got into conversation with an Australian woman sitting at a table not too far away. She was on holiday visiting her daughter who lives in London and found out she lived on the Sunshine Coast just north of Brisbane. I mentioned Andrew and the fact that he lives in Mackay and inevitably the problems of having children living so far away cropped up as she asked me how I felt about him settling down so far away. Obviously it was high in her mind since she was due to return home later in the week and time started to hang heavily. She was chipper, loving the tradition of London but missing home and her own bed, the sunshine and the beaches, the light and and open space, the sensible traffic and the decent proximity between us and the stranger ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment