Tuesday 26 December 2023

Transgender


 




Subject: Transgender

The issue of transgender and the right of a parent to know of their child's interest is a deep philosophical issue. My initial response when the transgender story arose was one of believing that the parent should always be made aware but then I assumed my assumption was based on the fact I that all parents fitted some sort of stereotype and that they would be understanding and supportive but what if the parent had been subjected to religious or sociological brainwashing, believing that the child would be in danger of going to hell if it went against the biology but of course this speaks much more about the imposition of the concept of a hell on people who are vulnerable.
The psychological understanding of ones gender and the imposition it demands on your lifestyle through law to people like Kemi Badenoch, the Minister for Equality who have the surety of the pulpit to opinionate on this matter has reasoned that a parent has the 'right to know'. It ticks many boxes regarding parental responsibility but what if the child is scared of the reaction if their mom or dad knowing of their decision to move across into another gender irrespective of their physical condition will be harsh and abusive. Rene Descartes famous dictum, "I think therefore I am", argues that the act of doubting your ones own existence serves as proof of the reality of ones mind to cogitate on such matters and must include the issue of who I see myself as. The chemistry which governs the act of thinking mustn't be hog-tied by the outcome and only if the outcome threatens others then the law is asked to step in as a protection. My own prejudice against the practice of same-sex coupling especially when it comes to men still remains with me but this is a generational thing and in many ways I accept the practice even if I acknowledge that I am prudish and feel uncomfortable when watching films which have, as part of their modern day setting explicit sexual scenes, even the over use of swearing troubles me and makes me feel uncomfortable. It is all part of a partially repressive childhood which prospered through my parents ignorance.
Today we must know everything but understand little. The mind and its parameters have much too much canvas for me to understand and yet without understanding I can hardly profess a judgement. I can judge on the misuse of changing my gender to allow a trans person to enter single sex space but other than my ignorance as to the way people different to me think, I must avoiding being labelled a bigot

No comments:

Post a Comment