Wednesday 22 March 2017

Familiar seas and familiar destinations

Subject: Familiar seas and familiar destinations

If I were a dog I could settle down in my basket seeking the comfort of knowing I was home. As my eyelids closed I would dream of setting sail, in my basket, for the isle of bones, the juicy bones, crunchy bones, bones of all sizes for a dog like me to salivate over.
Climbing into my own bed has the same effect. It's not the bones but the weight taken off those bones as I relax on my mattress (board hard) with the sheet and the duvet tucked under my chin to keep out any draught. The radio on the bedside table blurting out some esoteric program on the meaning of infinity. Last nights book laying tantalising close, calling me in to continue where we had left off. And all this whilst I stay awake, who knows were my dreams may take me.
Simple pleasures are the best. "Getting back to basics" and forgetting the convoluted specialities we promote mentally as being necessary,  it's  what we yearn for as we begin to turn inward at the end of the day, reconnecting with our inner self after 12 hours of competitive activity.
The scene is within my head, the story line is the creation of my mind and has little if any reality in it. It is a characteristic of getting older that we slowly cast off the reality and the frenzy of doing things, things which invariably used to absorb others in our actions but now we begin to rely on our own devices to construct another more personal world, a world of reflection and evaluation, taking in more closely that intimate  world which lies just at our elbow.
Like the dog with his bone we salivate at some juicy conundrum or try to understand why people react to what we ourselves see as something understandably rational but they with a polar opposite point of view.
Drawing on our experience is what generations have done for generations but in this fast moving world, with information overload and the cycle of societal reinvention down from 50 years to 20 years and now 10 there is little use for experience and knowledge other than in the pub quiz.
And so we lapse into a muse content to sail the familiar sea to familiar destinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment