Saturday 1 August 2015

A pair of slippers

The biggest decision I make in the morning is whether I put on my slippers. If I do it's as if I have decided that for the rest of the day I'm 'home bound' with little encouragement to venture out. This is not a bad thing, it's not as if going out is all that special, unless of course you have somewhere special to go. 
This need for progression, a place to go and the propriety in the things you must do to get there starts with the slippers. To shave or not to shave that is the question. All these troubling decisions and I'v only just woken up !!
Much of our life is programmed by other people and so when one has to rely on oneself to give oneself an impetus to do things much can slip through the cracks. Of course there are the hard wired customs, instilled since childhood to do with hygiene and dress which keep us on track but it's difficult to conform when one is living in blissful solitude. Who cares if you don't. Convention my dear chap, convention !
I remember the story of an Aussie listening to two landlady types on a bus discussing the strange habits of the Aussie "they always want to take shower or get a bath. I suppose it's the novelty"?
Anyway it's the starting that's important, getting out of bed is a thought provoking exercise in its self. Last nights book is luringly within reach. Did he make it out of the jungle. Who really done it?
The exercise greeks and the food freaks all opinionate on the next move and so "others" crowd in on the simplicity of ones every action no matter how innocent.
The crafters cottage with its rude simplicity has its attractions. Batten down the hatch and place a do not disturb sign on the door is the best retreat but in reality,we are compelled to go out and enjoy the day but I am also reminded of the refrain  "I'm so pleased the sun isn't shining today and I don't have to go out and enjoy it"!

No comments:

Post a Comment