Sunday 11 November 2012

Ka mate, ka mate

Why does the Haka bring tears to my eyes, every time !! Why is there a catch in my throat as I speak !! What is it when I see these men from the little island country on the other side of the world, grimace, hang the tongue out, settle, semi squatting, eyes wide chanting 


                Ka mate, ka mate
                Ka ara,  Ka ara                                  ( I die, I die )
                Ka mate, ka mata                               ( I live, I live )
                Ka ara,  Ka ara
                Tenei te tangta pahuruhuru                ( This is the hairy man )
                Nama i tiki mai whakawhite te ra        ( Who caused the sun to shine again me )

One of the great rituals, it is symbolic of a Polynesian ceremony, probably enacted for Captain Cook in 1780 in his voyages through the Pacific Islands.
Normally friendly, Cook upset the local islanders in Hawaii and having left the island they had to return to repair the ship when Cook was murdered.

Its also the equally small nation, Wales that in the singing of their national anthem with a crowd full of anticipation, also makes me gulp.  When he was here, Andrew used to laugh to see me so moved !!  

I am happy it is so recorded, since there is an underlying, underdog element in my emotion. 

Seeing the unity, hearing the unity, makes me sentimentally yearn for unity !!     

No comments:

Post a Comment