Sunday 12 July 2020

Time gentlemen please




Subject: Time gentlemen please


My watch had stopped, no big deal these days, more an indication of how my life has slowed down, the automatic wind up system is lacking the energy to wind up the spring.
Time and its apparent importance was instrumental in getting out of bed, walking into the bathroom and downstairs to make breakfast. Time nudged me into my car and onto the road to beat the traffic, it spoke volumes if I was late to get into the traffic on the motor way and worse if caught in the daily commute into East London. Time was important since I had people waiting for me to be there as the office opened, unloading equipment and materials to get started with the days work.
Time these days has lost much of its meaning, is it Wednesday or Tuesday today and does it matter, still in bed when, in a past life, I would be bowling along down the motor way and anyway if I do get up early, what do I do with myself now.
Facebook describes a very different life in the photos of friends and family overseas. Wine glass in hand they group together in their tasteful lounges or outside on the patio, grinning like Cheshire Cats into the camera lens, for them time stood still and its party time.
The beauty of the surroundings and the size of the houses lend the opportunity of getting together with people, a birthday or the celebration of a long weekend marking this ongoing celebratory lifestyle amongst friends.
I suppose that's one of the differences between here and there. Here the lifestyle is inhibited by the size and style of ones home and therefore encourages the wider experience of the pub or restaurant where the friendships are more tenuous.
The party overseas was usually with the same people the same round robin address proceeding along the same lines, good food, lots of booze and plenty of laughter. Here it's more introverted the bar flies are similar in some respects but because the breadth of occupation and hobbies are so different the conversation can fly off in any direction. Perhaps the thing I like best here is that I can leave when I want without causing a ripple, it's as if I hadn't been there, this lack of formality is what appeals most. Much of what goes on overseas is a sort of point score keeping, the hostess is particularly impressed if you are impressed, as you inevitably are. The guys, more down to earth discuss their handicap or reminisce of days gone by over a beer as they turn the meat.
For them time has stood still although outside the window at night the chill is not just the cool air but the thought that it might be my turn to be robbed or held up at gun point. In the 'old world' these thoughts are redundant, the system works and is wholistic, encompassing those who may feel a little less well off but understand it's all negotiable by buying the next round.

No comments:

Post a Comment