Friday 14 October 2016

A hand shake

I'v become a little lazy in sending my email to each specific email address  and after about four years of addressing to each person separately, I joined the emailers group who send their one message to the many.
It's the Facebook phenomena, linking arms, you never know who's  bed you will end up in.
The immediacy and false intimacy that the medium brings is both good and bad. We in England pride ourselves on our privacy, of maintaining a stiff upper lip so that emotions don't show. The home is our castle and people invited in but only on a special leash not to be too familiar or outrageous in our opinions. We squeeze the juice out of people to make a concoction more to our taste.
Watching a swarthy Syrian looking man in London yesterday I thought his world and his instincts are the measure of mine but different in so many ways. His unique experience his upbringing his religious belief and of course the barrier of "prejudice"  gets in the way. I will never truly discover his mode of thinking, nor he mine unfortunately we are both the worse for that.


You have to laugh. I was in very slow moving traffic on the London ring road, the A406 yesterday, when I was awoken out of my thoughts by a bang and a jolt. The car behind me had collided with my bumper. With traffic all around I got out to have a look to see  if there was any damage. The youngish, fresh faces East European who came towards me out of his car was full of apologies extending his hand in some sort of old fashioned communication. It made me smile. No damage done I accepted his hand and we went on our way,
How different to the disputive belligerency that usually comes into play when both  sides are trying to avoid blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment