Thursday 30 October 2014

Subliminal free will

Now I don't want any raised eyebrows on reading this blog or any smarmy comments but last night I had a dream ! Not the Martin Luther sort of dream but one which may be prophetic in another way. Usually I don't dream, or at least I seldom remember them, perhaps I'm brain dead (there will be lots of you who go along with that) or maybe it's because I sleep deeply, it's only in light sleep, the sleep you have as you emerge from the deep one that dreams are remembered. I'm not a club person, my dancing was always of the ballroom type where you held the girl and twirled around the floor as a couple. Today's dancing in the club, from what I've seen on the telly, is of a vast swath of people not apparently connected other than through the beat, I won't describe it as music.
I think up to now I'm on safe ground since most of my readers are of a certain age to remember the age of proper dancing.  Here's were it gets scary. In my dream I was dancing let's rephrase that, I was twisting (the dance) with a man ! Now my own prejudice will begin to show its self in that I have little truck with the concept that Gay and Lesbian activity is normal, I don't think it is. I accept that a sizeable section of society are Gay ans Lesbian but sheer numbers don't make it normal. Anyway be that as it may, here I was in my dream twisting with a man and although even in my dream I was uncomfortable dancing with him ( I seemed to carry my prejudice into the dream) he also had a resemblance to someone. It was only when I woke up did I realise it was someone from one of the Australian soaps, Neighbours. 
These Soap Operas have themes and one being played out at the moment is a Gay relationship between a young Greek guy and a new entrant into the series, a chap who apart from being Gay also seems to have Post Traumatic Syndrome and a lot of uncontrollable anger from his stint in the army (another theme). Anyway it was him in my dream and I got to thinking about the effect of subliminal conditioning.
Was the fact that he popped into my dream a result of subliminal conditioning, an attempt to convert us over to shredding our prejudice and become one of the, "everything is permissible" so long as it's INCLUSIVE. 
Of course it's the perfectly correct position to hold, if it roots out stigma, but prejudice and stigma are not the same thing. My prejudice is the result of my upbringing but also,in large part is based on what I think is the natural order of things in "nature" which requires, as a founding element, "procreation" to be the basis for sexual instinct. The derailing of the sex drive to simply provide entertainment has been one of the strongest cultural dilemmas over mankind's term on earth and his philosophical justification for anything he does is seen as a manifestation of "free will"  
 "The powers that be" are intent on reforming us in all kinds of ways and television is probably the most powerful.
Of course as a friend of mine recently commented "just don't watch it" !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment