Saturday 11 October 2014

Squaring the circle


What is the difference between living and dying. On the one hand you breath, on the other you don't. There must be more to it than that?
Whilst you draw breath you use your mind to imagine yourself doing things. The things you do should be memorable, that is you should remember them as part of your character, a part of your history, part of who you are.
But what if "who you are" becomes to seem inconsequential, what if, as you simplify your existence as you grow old, the substance of what you do diminishes to a trickle even to the act of breathing, have we not therefore squared the circle ?
The older I get the less I do and the less I can be bothered to do.
It's not that I am lazy, I still work bordering 74 and I still find great contentment in reading and writing. I still get a buzz from thinking, from reflecting on the commonplace and visualising the elements that make up the world about me.
But the "grand event", the holiday to far off places, the immersion in new cultures visiting those grand monuments, marvelling at the architecture, wide eyed at the Lions kill, all of this I have had my fill through the medium of the telly.
What more can I comprehend of the incomprehensibly fascinating animal kingdom than the BBC's wildlife series or the stroll through the ancient city's of Cambodia or the majesty of St Peter's in Rome, what would two weary feet add to my knowledge. 
And so I draw myself in, not encouraged by others who rightly busy themselves with plans for a trip here and a visit there. I am more interested in the mundane,the minutia of my own life with it's never ending revelations which are important to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment