Tuesday 8 October 2013

Bury me with the potatoes !!


I will never live it down, but then again I may never live, full stop ?
Every so often I get roped into an appearing at the allotment. Today it was digging up the spuds. Fork in hand I am directed to a patch of ground where it is rumoured  there are potatoes lurking under the soil.  I start to dig but apparently, there is a special way to unearth potatoes and I am doing it wrong. The fork must not go in at an angle, the depth is crucial and the shaking and loosening of the soil is a knack  I have still to attain.
Having done it all wrong and speared some fine specimens I was told off in no uncertain terms.
Promising to "try harder" I continued digging, folk in, lift the soil and shake out the potatoes, folk in, lift the soil and shake out the potatoes. One row completed I began to feel dizzy and light headed, stick at it lad, don't be a woose, fork in, lift the soil you get the drift but by now I need to sit down.
White faced I sit under the apple tree and contemplate. Has it all come to this, 10 minutes exercise and I'm floored and yet yesterday I walked the few miles into town and back no problem. Marie who battles to walk more than a mile is digging away like there's no tomorrow,the roles reversed she looks at me from the intellectual height of, "I can do this why can't you"?  I also want to know why can't I ?
Having arrived home and now in the comfort zone, in front of my lap top. I open the medical dictionary on Dizziness. 
Ignoring the "pint too many" I troll, Low blood Pressure, Hypoglycema and so on. Do I suffer diabetes is the ticker ok. The more you look the more symptoms you have, so I closed the book to do what I do best, write my blog.
If you don't get another, (there are many who live in hope), you will know where I went.
Marie has promised to bury me with what remains of the potatoes !!              


No comments:

Post a Comment