Thursday 23 June 2016

In or Out

'In' 'Out', "In "Out". It's like the commentary from a 1950s Oxford and Cambridge University Boat Race by John Snag. He counted the strokes In Out, In Out, In Out to see who was rowing faster, not always an indication though as to who was going faster through the water.
No, the "In" or "Out" today has a much more weighty outcome as we finish pondering the pros and the cons of BREXIT and have to place our cross on the ballot paper.
I walked down the road to the school which acts as a polling station, passing the cars and the gardens, into the playing field area and down a path to the school buildings. Should I vote In or Out.   Should I be ruled by my head or my heart.
The officials behind their desks checked my name against the list and I was given a voting slip with two options as if this momentous decision had only one of two answers. I could have given at least 20 reasons for staying In and another 20 reasons for staying Out. I could have weighted them with preferences and then allowed a computer to choose.
"Do you have a coin" I asked and raised a chuckle from the serious minded officials, I'v been ruminating for weeks now and I'm no nearer and answer, heads or tails, it was down to that.

I think "what done it", was the flashback of Wolfgang Schauble's face on the 'tele' telling us what was best for us. I was never good at being told anything by anyone, least of all by a German Finance Minister who had pronounced on the Greeks as if they were dog dirt on his shoe.
Funny eh, all the intellectualising and soul searching and it eventually came down to a question of a man's face and the emotional baggage I carried around with me as to his type and the seclusion they have generated from the rest of us. At least with our own home grown Schauble we have in theory the opportunity to vote them out and they must recognise this in their dealings with us..
So it was "OUT" and we will have to see how the world of 'finance', 'sovereign funds', and the 'doomsday economists' work through their bile if and when the other 'Outies' win the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment