Monday 14 April 2014

Oscar Pistorius continued


We all have had preconceived ideas about the guilt or otherwise of Oscar Pistorius
us and as the trial has progressed I have listened to the media which seems largely to supported the prosecutions case.
I was chatting this morning to Andrew in Australia, as you do and he was watching the case live, streamed on Channel 4 TV. He sent me the link and so, for the first time I listened in detail to the flow of question and answer without the any media commentary to distract me. The advocate for the prosecution Nel was badgering Pistorius for details of the event which struck me that even the most clear headed person would have had difficulty recalling. As is his right and indeed his task Nel sought to demean the answers with caustic comment and even hilarity, for which he was admonished by the Judge. I had to ask myself how could someone who claims they were in fear of their life, screaming out of control, finally letting a fusillade of shots  into the toilet door, how could they be expected to recall and relate the detail of events especially since the detail is in part the contrivance of the Prosecution after many hours of mental forensic reasoning in the cold light of the day. Its Nels job to dismantle the character of the accused but in my short exposure to the hearing today I have to give Pistorius the benefit of the doubt, a turn around for me from my previous opinion, based on short media led snippets.           

No comments:

Post a Comment