Thursday 10 July 2014

A cry baby


It's strange to see grown men cry so readily yet I know how, from my own experience how quickly one can become emotional. I'm not sure if its an ageing thing but certain things seem to trigger this rush to tears.
In my case I seem to be triggered by implicit conjecture regarding certain situations, simply a belief that there is something elemental behind the scene in front of ones eyes which makes one emotional.
When I hear a Welsh crowd sing their national anthem at an international rugby match I see a relatively poor nation drawing together in a defiant stance, knowing who they are, in a world of fragmentation and conflicting cultures.
Its the same when I watch the 'All Blacks' doing their marvellous Haka. The symbolism of the Maori's ancestral challenge to the 'pakeha', their traditional enemy makes the challenge on the rugby field so much more a subject of history. The small pitched against the large and powerful. Its this symbolism that makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise with the lump in the throat.
This then is the background to the tears, on and off the pitch at the World Cup. People carry their own image of who they are and every so often there is moment, it can be a happy one but more often, a sad occasion when their team is defeated and the tears begin to flow as their national psyche is brought crashing down. In this hectic world, as individuals, we have little to hang on to and it makes being part of a tribe and the sense of belonging, an important human concern which in defeat is momentarily shattered.        


http://twocents2012.blogspot.com.au/          

No comments:

Post a Comment